The Grief of Being the Outsider
The Grief of Being the Outsider
There is a particular kind of pain that comes with being the outsider. It isn’t always obvious. Sometimes it looks like being the one who doesn’t quite fit in, the one who sees things differently, the one who asks questions that make other people uncomfortable, or the one who can no longer participate in the patterns everyone else seems perfectly willing to accept. Sometimes it looks like sitting in a room full of people and realizing that, somehow, you are still alone. And sometimes the deepest grief isn’t that people don’t understand you. It’s that you finally understand that they may never will.
For a long time, I thought being the outsider meant something was wrong with me. I thought maybe I was too sensitive, too intense, too aware, or simply too much. I learned to question myself before I questioned the environment I was in. I learned to make myself smaller so other people could remain comfortable. I learned to abandon parts of myself in exchange for belonging. And there is a tremendous grief in realizing how many times you chose belonging over yourself.
We are wired for connection. We want to be chosen. We want to belong to a family, a friendship, a community, or a relationship. We want to feel that there is a place for us at the table. So when you begin to live more truthfully, there can be a long period where it feels like everything is falling apart. People leave. Relationships change. Your tolerance for chaos disappears. Conversations that once felt normal suddenly feel exhausting. You stop laughing at things that don’t feel funny anymore. You stop explaining yourself. You stop chasing people. You stop trying to convince others to see what you see. And suddenly, you find yourself standing on the outside.
At first, it can feel like rejection. But I have come to see that sometimes it is actually an initiation. Not punishment. Not exile. Preparation. There are seasons in our lives where we have to be separated from what we once identified with so we can discover who we actually are without it. That process can be incredibly lonely because there is an in-between place. You no longer belong to the old world, but you haven’t fully found your new one. You have outgrown certain relationships, but you haven’t yet found the people who meet you where you are going. You have released identities that once gave you belonging, but you haven’t completely embodied the person underneath them. This is the wilderness, and I have come to understand that the wilderness has its own medicine.
It teaches you how to sit with yourself. It teaches you that loneliness and solitude are not the same thing. It teaches you to stop looking outside yourself for permission to be who you are. It teaches you discernment. It teaches you that not every invitation is meant to be accepted, not every relationship is meant to continue, and not every person is meant to walk with you into your next chapter. Most importantly, it teaches you the difference between belonging and abandoning yourself to belong. That distinction changed everything for me.
I don’t want belonging at the cost of my own soul anymore. I don’t want to be surrounded by people and disconnected from myself. I don’t want relationships where I have to betray what I know to be true in order to keep the peace. I don’t want to perform a version of myself that makes me easier to digest. I want relationships where I can arrive whole. And choosing that has meant grieving. I have had to grieve people, friendships, relationships, versions of myself, and the fantasy that certain people would one day see me, understand me, or meet me in the way I had hoped. There is no shortcut through that grief. You have to feel it. You have to let yourself admit that it hurt. You have to mourn what you wanted it to be.
Then, slowly, something begins to shift. The outsider becomes the observer. The observer becomes the discerner. And the discerner begins to realize that maybe I wasn’t rejected. Maybe I was redirected. Maybe the doors that closed were not evidence that I wasn’t worthy. Maybe they were making space. Space for relationships that don’t require me to disappear. Space for people who value depth. Space for friendships that feel nourishing instead of chaotic. Space for people who don’t need me to abandon my boundaries in order to stay connected to them. Space for a life that actually feels like mine.
This is where I have come to celebrate being the outsider. Not because rejection doesn’t hurt. It does. Not because I no longer experience grief. I do. But because I understand it differently now. I see the outsider as someone who has been given an invitation to walk a different path, to listen more deeply, to question what has been handed down, to become intimate with their own knowing, and to develop the courage to say, “This doesn’t belong to me anymore.”
There is tremendous freedom in that. I no longer need everyone to understand me. I no longer need to be included everywhere. I no longer need to fit into rooms that require me to leave parts of myself at the door. I would rather be alone in my truth than surrounded by people who require me to betray it. And strangely enough, when I stopped desperately trying to belong, I began to find belonging. Not the kind I used to chase, but something quieter and more honest. A belonging that begins inside. A belonging that says, “I am here. I am listening. I trust what I know. I don’t have to leave myself to be loved.”
From that place, I can meet others without needing them to complete me. I can love people without needing to hold onto them. I can let relationships evolve. I can bless people as they leave and welcome the ones who arrive. I can sit at a table and know that I don’t have to earn my place there. And if there is no table, I can build my own.
Maybe that is the real spiritual lesson of being the outsider. Eventually, you stop asking, “Where do I fit?” and start asking, “What kind of world am I creating?” That is where the grief becomes medicine. That is where rejection becomes redirection. That is where solitude becomes sacred. And that is where the outsider finally comes home, not to a group, not to a relationship, not to a place, but to herself.
~Shanti Freedom Das
Comments
Post a Comment