Reclaiming Baptism
Reclaiming Baptism: The Water Remembers Before the Church Does
Baptism was given to me as a beginning that belonged to someone else. A font, a priest, a name spoken over my small body before I could speak for myself. For years I thought that was the whole of it, a single door, opened once, on someone else’s terms.
It took me a long time on the water’s edge, and longer still on the mat and in ceremony, to understand that the church did not invent this. It only borrowed it, narrowed it, and asked us to forget where it came from.
Long before there were baptismal fonts, there were rivers. There were shamans leading the sick into cold currents at dawn, elders pouring water over the crown of a newborn’s head while chanting the names of ancestors, priests in the Ganges lifting their palms to the sun and letting the current carry away what no longer belonged to them. Water has always known how to do this work. It does not need permission from a church to remember a soul back to itself.
My teacher used to say, water does not cleanse you the way soap cleanses a dish. It cleanses you the way a river cleanses a stone, slowly, by remembering exactly what shape you were always meant to be. I did not understand this the first time I heard it. I understood it the first time I actually let myself be broken open by a body of water instead of just standing near one.
In the Hindu tradition, immersion is not a single event but a practice returned to again and again. Snana is not a metaphor. Bathing in a sacred river is understood to loosen karma the way a twist wrings stagnation from the organs — not symbolically, but actually, in the tissue of the moment. The Ganges is not holy because a book declared it so. It is holy because generations of grief and prayer and release have been given to it, and it has held all of it without complaint.
In shamanic traditions across continents, water rites exist without any Christian scaffolding at all. The Andean despacho ceremonies that call on mountain lakes. The Yoruba rivers claimed by Oshun, goddess of sweetness and flow. The sweat lodge, where steam becomes water becomes prayer rising off the skin. None of these needed a savior figure to make the water sacred. The sacredness was never borrowed. It was original.
What the church did, when it built its fonts and wrote its liturgies, was take something ancient and put a lock on the door. Suddenly the water only worked if a certain man in certain robes said certain words over you. Suddenly rebirth required an intermediary. I think this is the deepest theft, not of the ritual itself, but of the belief that you needed someone else’s authority to be renewed.
I remember the first time I waded into water with the intention to actually let something die in me. Not a metaphor. An old grief I had been carrying so long it had become furniture in my chest. No priest stood over me. No congregation watched. Just cold water at my ankles, then my waist, then my throat, and a silence that asked nothing of me except to arrive. When I came up, I was shaking, and I understood something my body had known before my mind caught up: the water was never withholding this from me. I was withholding myself from the water.
This is the reclaiming. Not a rejection of baptism, but a return to what it was before it was fenced in , a rite that belongs to the body, to the elements, to the lineage of every culture that ever looked at moving water and understood it as a living intelligence rather than a prop. You do not need to be born into the right religion to be born again. You need a river, or an ocean, or even a bowl of water blessed by your own intention, and the willingness to let it hold you the way it held everyone who came before the churches ever existed.
My father used to remind me, when I clung too hard to what a thing was supposed to look like, that the ritual is not the water. The ritual is your willingness to be changed by it. Baptism, at its root, was never Christian property. It was human property, and before that, it was the earth’s own technology for helping us let go.
So I return to water now the way I imagine my ancestors did — not once, not by decree, but as often as the soul asks for it. Every immersion a small death. Every emergence a small remembering.
The water was never the church’s to give.
It was only ever the earth’s to offer.
And it has been waiting, patiently, for us to come back and ask.
~Shanti Freedom Das
Comments
Post a Comment